Brush Up On Your Oral Hygiene – Technique & Toothbrush Tips
Did you know that most people only brush their teeth for about half the length of time they should? When considering how easy it can be to let our technique slip, brushing and flossing incorrectly can leave teeth vulnerable to serious smile problems. Although most of us have been brushing and flossing our teeth since we were children, it’s time to brush up your skills to keep your teeth healthy and shining bright. In this post, I’d like to offer some helpful tips on brushing and to talk about an innovative new electric toothbrush that makes taking care of your teeth at home the easiest it’s ever been.
What Is The Best Way To Brush My Teeth?
Brushing is a crucial part of your oral hygiene routine. To make sure you’re doing this correctly, watch this short tutorial video, and follow the suggestions below:
- Turn your toothbrush to a 45-degree angle when making contact with your teeth and gums.
- Use short, side-to-side strokes when you brush.
- Brush gently – using too much pressure can cause gum recession and other dental problems.
- Brush twice a day, for two minutes each time – set a timer on your phone or play a quick song to make sure you brush long enough.
- To make the most out of your oral hygiene routine, brush after breakfast and before bed.
- Use a toothpaste with fluoride in it – stannous fluoride is particularly great since it’s naturally antibacterial and helps control oral bacteria.
- Brush your teeth, gums, tongue, and cheeks to keep your entire mouth fresh.
And, since brushing only cleans a little over half of the surface of your teeth, be sure to floss at least once a day, although twice is better – consider switching to a satin style dental tape if flossing is uncomfortable.
How Can The Oral B Genius Toothbrush Help My Smile?
Since electric toothbrushes take the work out of brushing, these are a popular at-home tool for patients. Personally, I like the Oral B Genius toothbrush, because of its many features, including:
- Smart Functionality – The Oral B Genius 8000 is a “smart” toothbrush that uses a helpful app to make brushing correctly easy for every patient.
- Position Detection – The position detection feature is linked to your smartphone and guides you to brush each region of your teeth for the proper amount of time.
- Pressure Sensor – The pressure sensor will give you a visual alert you when you’re brushing too hard, keeping teeth and gums safe.
- Timer – The programmed timer makes sure you brush long enough to give your teeth the attention they deserve.
- Round Brush – The rounded brush head is designed with the same intelligence as dental tools – its rounded head surrounds more of each tooth for a deeper clean.
Brushing correctly and using a quality toothbrush like the Oral B Genius are vital aspects of your oral healthcare, just like seeing your dentist regularly is. If it’s time for a visit, schedule an appointment with me to get the deep clean and compassionate professional care you deserve!
Skip The Soda And Say Yes To Seltzer Water
A healthy lifestyle is important to you, so you’re sure to see your doctor at least once a year for a checkup, you eat a salad every day for lunch, and you maintain the right balance between work and your life at home. But there’s one habit you’re having a hard time breaking – eliminating soda. The fizzy drink is hard to say no to, and I understand how tempting it can be. But did you know that soda can be detrimental to your smile for more reasons than you might expect? That’s why I’d like to share my favorite alternative (that’s just as tasty) – seltzer water.
How Does Soda Impact Your Smile & Overall Health?
Although this beverage is popular, it can be harmful. Soda can negatively affect your smile – and your entire body – in the following ways:
- Tooth Decay & Cavities – Most patients know that soda is laden with sugar that leads to tooth decay and can exacerbate gum disease.
- Calcium Deficiency – Since the caffeine in many carbonated beverages leaches calcium from your bones throughout your entire body, it can make your teeth weak, too.
- Diabetes – The same sugary taste that causes cavities can eventually lead to diabetes if you indulge with soda too often. Remember – there is a connection between diabetes and tooth loss, and since I want to keep your smile bright and healthy, it’s best to avoid this beverage. Even diet soft drinks are a problem because the artificial sugar satisfies and perpetuates a ‘sugar addiction,’ by tricking our brains. Although these sugar substitutes are better than real sugar, they should also be avoided if possible.
- Crash & Burn – Even if you don’t have blood sugar problems, soda can cause you to crash and burn because of its high glycemic index number – its liquid nature is quickly absorbed, giving you the instant (but short term) pick-me-up you may be searching for, but leading to a crash just a short time later.
How Is Seltzer Water Better Than Soda?
Since seltzer water is fizzy and is naturally unsweetened, it’s one of my favorite alternatives to soda. And, many brands of this fizzy treat are naturally packed with minerals that can make a positive impact on your smile. You can enjoy seltzer water in many ways – try some of these great recipes to make yourself more familiar with this excellent, smile-friendly beverage.
To recap, try seltzer instead of soda to keep your smile happy, and come see me for a professional exam and cleaning. It’s my goal to keep your pearly whites radiant, so schedule your appointment today!
How Preventive Care From Your Dentist In Erlanger Keeps You Healthy
You take good care of yourself – you eat organic produce from Whole Foods, you alternate between yoga and interval training at least four times a week, you reduce your stress by meditating, and you floss twice a day. You do all this because you know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to your health. You’d love to find a dentist in Erlanger who shares your philosophy, and you’ll be pleased to know that I do. In fact, I believe that the best dentistry is no dentistry, and that preventive dental care is essential to a healthy smile, and a healthy body. In this post, I’ll teach you about the importance of preventive oral healthcare, as well as what you can do at home to keep your smile bright.
What Is Preventive Dental Care?
Preventive dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth and gums to keep them healthy. This means maintaining a good oral hygiene regimen at home (like brushing and flossing properly), and seeing your dentist at least twice a year for professional exams and cleanings. You and I will work as a team to prevent cavities, gum disease, and enamel problems in my office and at home. I’ll also use the methods below on a case by case basis:
- Fluoride Treatments
- Dental Sealants
- Dental Sleep Apnea Therapy
- Nightguards for Bruxism (grinding)
- Sports Mouthguards
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- TMJD Treatment (jaw dysfunction)
Why Should I See You For Preventive Care?
As your holistic dentist in Erlanger, I believe that overall health starts in the mouth, and then radiates throughout the rest of the body. I take the time to consider your physical, mental, and emotional well-being, and the effects these components have on your smile. By looking at your entire picture of health, I’m able to provide the most comprehensive dental care in Erlanger.
Why Is Preventive Dental Care Important For Me?
Preventive care is the most important aspect of ensuring a healthy smile, and a healthy body. Maintaining good oral health helps by:
- Preventing dental problems like cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss.
- Reducing your risk of heart disease by treating gum inflammation and infection.
- Preventing premature birth and low birth weight if you’re trying to conceive.
- Allowing for early detection and treatment of oral cancers.
What Preventive Dental Care Tips Will Keep My Smile Bright?
Although I love restoring smiles to their former glory with life-like dental implants, tooth-colored fillings, and root canal therapy, I’d much rather help you stay ahead of dental problems with preventive care. I recommend these strategies to keep your smile healthy:
- 2×2 – Brush gently for two minutes, twice a day, and floss while you’re at it. Need to brush up on your technique? Watch these tutorial videos on brushing and flossing to make sure you’re doing this correctly.
- Eat Healthy – Limit sugar in foods and beverages (like sodas and fruit juices) and enjoy high-protein snacks. Make water your beverage of choice, and load up on leafy greens and dairy products that are chock full of calcium for strong teeth and bones – say cheese, too, since this savory treat helps reduce your risk of cavities.
- See Your Dentist Twice a Year – There’s no substitute for professional oral healthcare. Since professional dental exams can diagnose 120 health conditions, I can see if there are bigger issues that are affecting more than just your smile when I take care of you every six months.
Now that you know that my dental philosophy is about preventing problems before they start, and how we can work together to keep your smile healthy, schedule your appointment today!
Welcome Our New CEREC System to the Office!
I’ve recently made the decision to upgrade my same-day dental restoration system. My team, patients, and I are in love all over again! Using superior quality dental porcelain, I’m able to give patients the high quality restorations they’ve come to expect in just one visit. I’ve been using CEREC Brand for many years, but the new system allows me to feel like a true artist as I craft detailed, custom dental restorations that restore smiles to their natural strength. I love seeing the results, but the best thing about this new and improved CEREC system, besides the cool music it plays while capturing the NO-IMPRESSION image, is hearing how happy my patients are.
Literally from the first day we had the new system in place, we’ve had amazing results. When we make a significant investment in new materials, we often have the opportunity to try the product first. During our trial period with the new CEREC system, Alan, one of our lab technicians, confessed he’d been putting off dental restoration. So, we sat him right down in the big comfortable chair to try out the new CAD/CAM system. Alan was stunned with the quick, painless results, and that the restored tooth felt better than the one he’d had his whole life. Alan plans to continue his treatment, and we couldn’t be happier, Alan! See you soon.
On my last visit to the nail salon, my manicurist reminded me of her experience with me. Her front tooth veneer fractured and she needed a quick fix. The veneer was great, but she wasn’t 100% happy with it. When the veneer broke, we used the CEREC system to repair her damaged veneer in just one visit. She said she still can’t believe how good it looks and feels, or that this high quality restoration was completed in just one, painless visit.
Visit Us Soon
At my dental practice, I want patients to feel great about their smile because their teeth are healthy and strong. Our new CEREC system allows me to help patients restore their dental health quickly, painlessly, and beautifully. I hope you’ll let my team help you get the healthy smile you deserve. Call today for a consultation.
The sunshine and warm weather of summer puts a smile on our faces, and makes us all want to go outside and have fun. One of the best summer pastimes is lounging by your local pool, especially if you have children. Taking your kids to the pool and letting them swim is a great way to pass summer hours, get them out of the house, and sneak in some relaxation time for yourself.
Recently, a patient shared a summer swimming experience with me. One summer she took her children to the pool for a relaxing family afternoon. As she lay pool side soaking up the sun, her daughter expertly swam laps. She felt so proud of her little fish. Then, her daughter wasn’t swimming anymore. The patient’s daughter pulled herself out of the pool, holding her mouth and crying. She miscalculated the distance to the wall and chipped her teeth. In the blink of an eye, their relaxing afternoon turned into a dental disaster.
That’s how easily accidents can happen, generally, when you least expect them. Fortunately, dental accidents like these can be repaired. My patient’s daughter has a smile as good as new and you would never know she’d chipped her teeth. If you or your loved ones need help restoring your smile, I will work with you to determine the right fix, and get it done fast. Summertime is for family fun and relaxation. Don’t let fear of a potential dental accident stop your summer fun. Accidents happen, let me worry about how to get your smile back in line.
- June 2019
- April 2019
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- September 2016
- August 2016
- October 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012