Did you know that most people only brush their teeth for about half the length of time they should? When considering how easy it can be to let our technique slip, brushing and flossing incorrectly can leave teeth vulnerable to serious smile problems. Although most of us have been brushing and flossing our teeth since we were children, it’s time to brush up your skills to keep your teeth healthy and shining bright. In this post, I’d like to offer some helpful tips on brushing and to talk about an innovative new electric toothbrush that makes taking care of your teeth at home the easiest it’s ever been.
What Is The Best Way To Brush My Teeth?
- Turn your toothbrush to a 45-degree angle when making contact with your teeth and gums.
- Use short, side-to-side strokes when you brush.
- Brush gently – using too much pressure can cause gum recession and other dental problems.
- Brush twice a day, for two minutes each time – set a timer on your phone or play a quick song to make sure you brush long enough.
- To make the most out of your oral hygiene routine, brush after breakfast and before bed.
- Use a toothpaste with fluoride in it – stannous fluoride is particularly great since it’s naturally antibacterial and helps control oral bacteria.
- Brush your teeth, gums, tongue, and cheeks to keep your entire mouth fresh.
And, since brushing only cleans a little over half of the surface of your teeth, be sure to floss at least once a day, although twice is better – consider switching to a satin style dental tape if flossing is uncomfortable.
How Can The Oral B Genius Toothbrush Help My Smile?
Since electric toothbrushes take the work out of brushing, these are a popular at-home tool for patients. Personally, I like the Oral B Genius toothbrush, because of its many features, including:
- Smart Functionality – The Oral B Genius 8000 is a “smart” toothbrush that uses a helpful app to make brushing correctly easy for every patient.
- Position Detection – The position detection feature is linked to your smartphone and guides you to brush each region of your teeth for the proper amount of time.
- Pressure Sensor – The pressure sensor will give you a visual alert you when you’re brushing too hard, keeping teeth and gums safe.
- Timer – The programmed timer makes sure you brush long enough to give your teeth the attention they deserve.
- Round Brush – The rounded brush head is designed with the same intelligence as dental tools – its rounded head surrounds more of each tooth for a deeper clean.
Brushing correctly and using a quality toothbrush like the Oral B Genius are vital aspects of your oral healthcare, just like seeing your dentist regularly is. If it’s time for a visit, schedule an appointment with me to get the deep clean and compassionate professional care you deserve!