You take good care of yourself – you eat organic produce from Whole Foods, you alternate between yoga and interval training at least four times a week, you reduce your stress by meditating, and you floss twice a day. You do all this because you know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to your health. You’d love to find a dentist in Erlanger who shares your philosophy, and you’ll be pleased to know that I do. In fact, I believe that the best dentistry is no dentistry, and that preventive dental care is essential to a healthy smile, and a healthy body. In this post, I’ll teach you about the importance of preventive oral healthcare, as well as what you can do at home to keep your smile bright.
What Is Preventive Dental Care?
Preventive dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth and gums to keep them healthy. This means maintaining a good oral hygiene regimen at home (like brushing and flossing properly), and seeing your dentist at least twice a year for professional exams and cleanings. You and I will work as a team to prevent cavities, gum disease, and enamel problems in my office and at home. I’ll also use the methods below on a case by case basis:
- Fluoride Treatments
- Dental Sealants
- Dental Sleep Apnea Therapy
- Nightguards for Bruxism (grinding)
- Sports Mouthguards
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- TMJD Treatment (jaw dysfunction)
Why Should I See You For Preventive Care?
As your holistic dentist in Erlanger, I believe that overall health starts in the mouth, and then radiates throughout the rest of the body. I take the time to consider your physical, mental, and emotional well-being, and the effects these components have on your smile. By looking at your entire picture of health, I’m able to provide the most comprehensive dental care in Erlanger.
Why Is Preventive Dental Care Important For Me?
Preventive care is the most important aspect of ensuring a healthy smile, and a healthy body. Maintaining good oral health helps by:
- Preventing dental problems like cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss.
- Reducing your risk of heart disease by treating gum inflammation and infection.
- Preventing premature birth and low birth weight if you’re trying to conceive.
- Allowing for early detection and treatment of oral cancers.
What Preventive Dental Care Tips Will Keep My Smile Bright?
Although I love restoring smiles to their former glory with life-like dental implants, tooth-colored fillings, and root canal therapy, I’d much rather help you stay ahead of dental problems with preventive care. I recommend these strategies to keep your smile healthy:
- 2×2 – Brush gently for two minutes, twice a day, and floss while you’re at it. Need to brush up on your technique? Watch these tutorial videos on brushing and flossing to make sure you’re doing this correctly.
- Eat Healthy – Limit sugar in foods and beverages (like sodas and fruit juices) and enjoy high-protein snacks. Make water your beverage of choice, and load up on leafy greens and dairy products that are chock full of calcium for strong teeth and bones – say cheese, too, since this savory treat helps reduce your risk of cavities.
- See Your Dentist Twice a Year – There’s no substitute for professional oral healthcare. Since professional dental exams can diagnose 120 health conditions, I can see if there are bigger issues that are affecting more than just your smile when I take care of you every six months.
Now that you know that my dental philosophy is about preventing problems before they start, and how we can work together to keep your smile healthy, schedule your appointment today!